Who does not love the extra crispy home baked French Fries? Yes, the ones which are BAKED & not the fried French fries !!!
Yes, its true!!! air fryer home baked fries are a bit more healthier than deep-fried version. Yes, junk food can be made equally tasty and healthy too. Just go through these tips below and you can enjoy this guilt-free version of French fries at home anytime. Every movie, football, cricket match becomes extra special with friends and family 🙂 I must say cooking has become much easier with air fryer recipes.
One of the secret behind making fries at home , is soaking the raw fries in cold water before you start baking French fries. This will remove some of the excess starch. Thus, makes them less soggy. Lesser the starch, more the crispiness. These potato fingers will delight you and surprise you! Perfect way to make kids happy and worry less too. If you feel time is less, you can still have a frozen fries in an air fryer.
- mandolin slicer
- potatoes washed and peeled
- olive oil
- sea salt
- Spice mix (Chipotle spice mix/ morocco spice mix or you may just use dried oregano/herbs/garlic)
This is the chipotle seasoning I have bought from the store here in Australia.
What kind of potatoes are used for homemade potato chips?
Choosing the correct variety of potato is the most important step in this recipe.The varieties that work well include the following.
- Russet potatoes
- Yukon Gold potatoes
- Kind Edward
- Royal Dutch cream
- Royal blue / Purple
Depending on where you live, you will find one variety or other.) I have tried with Russet, King Edward, Dutch cream, Royal blue and all of them were good .The best result was with Russet and Kind Edward potatoes.
If you do not want to go through the hassle, then a simpler option is to get the frozen fries and cook them in the air fryer. Refer to our recipe here.
How to make extra crispy home baked French fries ?
- Cut the fries little thin about ¼ inch wide. Slice the whole potato lengthwise and then slice each piece of the potato again into fries. After slicing, soak the fries in cold water for 3-4 hours, which in turn ensures fries end up being crispy when getting baked in the air fryer.
- Try not to crowd the fries on the pan. Ensure that they have a bit of space in between each other. This will ensure that they are baked even and well.. Enjoy 🙂
- Take the best ‘floury’ potatoes. Avoid the new potatoes. We have used Dutch cream / Russet/King Edward variety of potatoes in the recipe.
2. Peel the potatoes. You may choose to use them unpeeled as well. Just wash well.
3. Cut in the desired shaped. Soak them in cold water for 3-4 hour. Add a few ice cubes if you like.
4. Drain the water from the potatoes, dry the potato sticks using a paper tissue.
5.Toss the fries with 1 tablespoon oil (no salt/seasoning now).
how to make French fries in air fryer?
6. To make the fries in the air fryer. Place them in the tray in a single layer in the preheated air fryer. You may need to cook them in batches in the air fryer basket.
7. Cook these for 8 minutes at 200C, stirring once/twice in between
8. Mix the season with 1 tablespoon olive oil in a bowl
9. Toss the semi cooked fries in the seasoning.
10. Continue to cook at 200C for 8 minutes or until you get the desired crispness, of your air fryer fries. Serve immediately.
Sometimes I like to just make the plain french fries with just oil and salt.
Follow the exact same process as above and just use the plain salt instead of spices.
How to make fries in an oven ?
For baked French fries recipe, follow the same steps as above for the prep. Just bake them in the oven for 22-25 minutes at 200C(fan forced)
More chips please?
Easy air fryer French fries recipe
Homebaked French fries are a great way to enjoy your movie time at home. You can also make it with sweet potatoes.
- 4-5 potatoes washed and peeled,
- 2 respond olive oil 2 tablespoons per batch
- 1 respond spice mix (Chipotle spice mix/ morocco spice mix or you may just use dried oregano/herbs/garlic as per your taste)
- 1 test sea salt optional in case the spice mix has salt.
For potato fries in air fryer
Using a slicer, slice the potatoes or use cut them into wedges any shape.
Take a pot filled with water. Leave the potato slices in it for 3-4 hours.
Drain the water from the potatoes. Dry the potato sticks using a paper tissue.
Toss the fries with 1 tablespoon oil (no salt/seasoning now).
To make the fries in the air fryer, place them in the tray in a single layer in the preheated air fryer. You may need to cook them in batches.
Cook these for 8 minutes at 200C, stirring once/twice in between.
Mix the seasoning with 1 tablespoon olive oil in a bowl. Toss the semi cooked fries in the seasoning.
Continue to cook at 200C for 8-10 minutes or until you get the desired crispness. Serve immediately.
Note: The thickness of the potato fries/wedges should be at least 1 cm/0.5inch (yes I know 1inch=2.5 cm :-))
For vrat: use sendha namak/rock salt instead of sea salt.
Improper handling of starch causes soggy chips
I prefer to cook at 200C/390F